Helpful Ways To Have Better Conversations!
When having conversations with others, are you more a listener or a talker or both?
We’ve all known friends who are either shy and don’t speak much, or the opposite where they never come up for air.
I ran across a couple of Ted Talks regarding having better conversations, and they made sense.
Celeste Headlee is an award-winning journalist who hosts GPB Radio’s “On Second Thought,” weekdays from 9 – 10 a.m.
She recently gave a Ted Talk about 10 basic rules for having conversations without wasting time, getting bored or offending anyone.
As we move in and out of paying attention, our conversations become light, losing much of their “empathetic possibility“.
Our relationships start slipping into what researchers call an “absent presence.”
We notice and don’t like it, but can’t seem to help ourselves.
Here are the 10 basic rules:
- Don’t multi task, be present and in the moment.
- Don’t pontificate.
- Use open ended questions.
- Go with the flow.
- If you don’t know, say that you don’t know.
- Don’t equate your experience with theirs.
- Try not to repeat yourself.
- Stay out of the weeds.
- Be brief.
For details on these 10 basic rules, watch the humorous and informative video below:
Malavika Varadan gave a wonderful Ted Talk (below) on the “7 Ways To Make A Conversation With Anyone”.
Here are the 7 Ways:
- Open the First Word Flood Gates. Just say the first word even if you are nervous. Hi, Hey, Hello!
- Skip the Small Talk and ask a really personal question, like where do you come from and where does your family live?
- Find the Me Toos!! Find something you might have in common.
- Pay A Unique Compliment.
- Ask for an opinion.
- Be present and make eye contact.
- Name, Place Animal, Thing
Click here to listen to her talk below.
What’s your best way to have a better conversation? Please leave a comment!
TOPIC: Helpful Ways To Have Better Conversations!
If you are experiencing drama in your friendship and you would like coaching, click the button below!
Are you struggling through midlife, secretly suffering with resentment, anger or overwhelm? I get it, I’ve been there! One of the reasons, I experienced these emotions, is because I used to be a serious...
🍎 Maintaining a healthy lifestyle over a period of time gives us a good shot at extending life. A good quality of life depends on living with intention and practicing daily self-care. What exactly is...
Have you struggled with creating new friendships or enhancing the ones you already have? Creating new friends, and improving current friendships takes commitment! If making new new friends is important to...